Friday, February 8, 2008

Home School Teleseminar with Diana LaRue

This Tuesday evening, Feb. 12 from 7 to 8 p.m., I will be participating in a very a very special event. Although I did not home school my kids, my dear friend Diana LaRue has asked me to facilitate her teleseminar on "Homeschooling Over the Long Haul." This will be an on-line conference call where participants will have active participation through the telephone line. There is no charge for the seminar, except personal long distance fees where applicable, but registration is requested. You can register at Diana's blog: http://organichomelearning.blogspot.com

After you register you will receive instructions for the call-in procedure. With registration, you will also be able to submit your biggest question about home schooling for me to ask Diana during the teleseminar. If something happens and you are unable to participate in the live session, those who registered will also receive further information about where they can later listen to the recorded session online.

Diana calls her homeschooling method "Organic Home Learning – How to Home School the Natural, Organic Way." Its focus is on how to translate everyday experiences, hobbies or interests into legitimate high school credits. To help home schoolers "find the learning in life," she said.

Here is a quote from Diana:

"Yikes! Realization hit me just before my eldest daughter was to begin high school—I was going to be responsible for what she studied, for keeping records, and for determining when she met all the requirements for graduation.

The questions came. How was I going to teach it all? What counted as a credit? What about science lab? How would I know what grade to give her? What records did I need to keep? Would colleges accept her transcript? What about scholarships?

And the biggest question… Was I going to ruin her future?

If I'd only known then what I know now. There was no need to fear the high school years. Even a naturally unorganized person like me was able to take on high school and take it on successfully."


Diana LaRue and I have been friends for more than 20 years. She has been married to her husband, David for more than 27 years and is a veteran homeschooling mom with more than 18 years of experience.

Diana is a founding member of H.E.R.O. (Home Educators Resource Organization) homeschool support group and is in her 16th year as newsletter editor for the organization. She is an area contact person for THSC (Texas Home School Coalition) and SETHSA (SouthEast Texas Home School Association) and she is becoming a popular speaker at homeschool events in Texas. She was interviewed about her homeschooling method in 1998 on a program called "Beaumont PTL" on KITU-TV 34. In 2007, she presented a seminar "Homeschooling Through High School" in Jasper and Lufkin. She is listed in Who's Who in American Teachers 2005-2006 10th Edition.

Along with the teleseminar, Diana is also launching a website www.organichomelearning.com which will be up soon. I am so excited that she invited me to participate in her teleseminar event. I hope you will join us and invite all your friends who home school.

No comments:

Post a Comment