Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Don’t Be Fooled By Fake Fruit

Photobucket
By Tammy Hensel

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Gal. 3:22-23)

A luscious bowl of fruit displayed in the center of my grandmother hall table beckoned to me. What huge green grapes! How they glistened as the sunlight bounced around the room. Surely it would be okay to eat just one.

Reaching as far as I could with my child arms, my fingertips touched the grapes. I stopped in surprise at the ceramic cluster’s cold, hard surface. Disappointment flooded my face as my grandmother laughed from across the room. “Fooled you, didn’t it,”

Distinguishing between real and counterfeit should get easier with age, but it often doesn’t. Fake promises of success, excitement, pleasure, and even growth can lure us to a disappointing end. We hear Satan cackle in the background. “Fooled you again.”

In contrast, the fruit that grows from a daily walk with God produces real results. A supernatural love for all God’s creation springs from our hearts. Inexplicable joy and peace sustain us even in the most devastating circumstances. Kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness invade our relationships, replacing our natural selfishness, and giving us a heart for the needs of others. Most importantly of all, self-control provides the discernment we need to stay away from Satan’s fakes.

Growth may be slow. Even after I knew the fruit in my grandmother’s display was fake, looking at it always made me hungry. However, eventually I grew to recognize beauty in the artistry of the ceramics. Its lifelikeness took on a different meaning. In the same way, as we grow in our walk with God, we see His fruit emerge in our lives to help us avoid Satan’s counterfeits. Instead of the enemy’s taunting laugh, we hear our Savior’s victory cry.

Copyright 2016 Tammy L. Hensel All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment