Wednesday, January 16, 2008

CLUTTER


Here is a prosaic piece from a journal I call my "heart musings."
Clutter
By Tammy Hensel


Company is coming and I am trying to straighten up my house. There is so much clutter! How could I let all of this pile up? I am aghast at myself. Hurriedly I stuff it into drawers, closets, under the bed, and every unobtrusive nook and cranny I can find. I will just have to deal with it later, I promise myself.

As I work furiously, a question comes to me. Is this what I am doing with sin in my life? Am I stuffing it into nooks and crannies in my heart? Telling myself I can deal with it later - promising God that the time will come.

On the surface, my house looks clean and comfortable. I appear to my friends to have it all together. They say I am so spiritual. But the clutter is still there – in my house and in my heart. Eventually it will have to be dealt with or it will creep out and take over

One day soon we are planning to move out of this house. The day of reckoning with my junk is not far off. I will be forced to take the time to sort through it all and either take it with me or get rid of it.

But the day of reckoning with my sin could come any moment. Can I delay sorting through the junk in my heart any longer? I sure don't want to take it with me!
I drop down on my knees and open my heart once more to the sweet forgiveness that follows confession. What a blessed Savior indeed!

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. -1 John 1:9

Copyright Tammy L. Hensel November 10, 2006. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment