Monday, June 6, 2011

Applying Diligence

Photobucket
By Tammy L. Hensel


Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.—2 Peter 1:5-7

A few weeks ago I had an arthritis flare-up in my neck and shoulder. Every morning I wake up feeling stiff until I get over to the pool for my morning work-out. After an hour of laps and pool exercises, ending with several minutes in the whirlpool, I feel a lot better. I'm energized and ready for a productive day.

That is until I sit at the computer too long, bend my neck the wrong way, or lift something too heavy. Then pain acts as a barometer letting me know that I need to change my activity. Now, I can either ignore the warning and keep going or I can listen to its voice to avoid further aggravating my condition. It takes daily diligence to not undo the benefits I receive from my morning exercise.

Reading and meditating on God's word is also part of my morning routine. Often I discover a new nugget of truth that I want to apply to my life. Or I'm convicted of something I need to change. I intend to follow through, but sometimes circumstances come up that distract or tempt me from my resolve. In John 14:26, Jesus promised, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."

Often the Holy Spirit reminds me of something from Scripture in the nick of time to keep me from stumbling, just as the first twinge of pain in my neck reminds not to bend that way. If I don't listen to His gentle warning, I soon regret it, just as I feel the consequences of not taking a break from the computer when my neck starts hurting. Yet, even when I fall, He wraps me in the soothing balm of His love, forgiveness and peace. With His peace that passes all understanding (Phil. 4:7),He calms my heart much more than the hot water of the whirlpool that relieves my aching joints.

Diligence in my exercise program helps me to strengthen my body and better manage my chronic pain. Spiritual diligence strengthens my walk with God, building in me a godly character so that I can share the peace, love and joy He gives with others.

copyright Tammy L. Hensel 2011 All Rights Reserved



Video: Let the peace of God reign - Hillsong Updated

1 comment:

  1. Tammy,
    I'm behind in blog reading so I just read this today--on Pentecost Sunday. What a great post to read on the day commemorating the coming of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete